Monday, January 4, 2010

Trading!

A prologue to the mini-series on varied artisan works (which I hope to expand on as time passes and I acquire exciting new pieces)...
a short word on trading.

As an artist, my eye (like many of yours I'm sure) is tuned in to great design and workmanship. This means that I not only appreciate the beauty of the object, but also the time and skill that has gone in to the making of the piece, not to mention the inherent dollar value of the materials involved...

Which brings me to the next, or perhaps previous, important word...starving! Yes, as an artisan, young in experience and business, I am a "starving artist".

This puts me at a great disadvantage, you see, because while my eye is scoping out all those beautiful objects (easily found at the juried craft shows), appreciating their value to the truest sense of the word, I am admittedly short on cash...at least when it comes to justifying the spending of money on artwork (of any form).

And so, in comes the trade! It can't always be done, but when other artists are willing and open to the idea, it's a great way to get your hands on new and exciting craft pieces!

Over the next few posts, I will be featuring some of the pieces (& their makers) that I have traded for...so stay tuned!

No comments: